Wii U

Discuss upcoming games and news from E3.
Reknoc
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Reknoc »

Just think with a touch pad screen there's now no excuse for games not to have an inventory. Now Ken Levine can stop wasting time with this Bioshock crap and make a proper successor to System Shock 2.
richarddavies
Level 14
Level 14

Post by richarddavies »

The video I saw of the screen/controller and ideas for how it can be implemented in games was pretty cool. Some really clever ideas. Now I just need to see some games for it in action.
Dr Shaneman
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Dr Shaneman »

I prefer classic controllers. Simply put.
(inb4 Rek jizzes on my face and bores me with rants.)
RWDebara
Level 14
Level 14

Post by RWDebara »

Reknoc wrote: They're not going to do that.
Yea i figured.
Kaito-kun wrote:What's wrong with the controller? You've said twice now that you don't like it but you haven't expanded upon as to why.
Just don't like how it looks, kinda looks like an ipad with a smaller screen to have room for joysticks and buttons and it seems like it will be uncomfortable for some games.
i still prefer a normal remote. (Still don't even like the wiimote)

Now don't get me wrong i see some interesting things you can do with it which will lead to some cool experiences in games. But for some genres you can tell the remote is not perfect for.

But who knows i could like end up liking it once i use it while playing a game that fully uses it.

[I can see little kids breaking this thing already.]
Reknoc
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Reknoc »

I can't think of a single genre that suffered through use of the Wiimote.
RWDebara
Level 14
Level 14

Post by RWDebara »

Reknoc wrote:Just think with a touch pad screen there's now no excuse for games not to have an inventory. Now Ken Levine can stop wasting time with this Bioshock crap and make a proper successor to System Shock 2.
Not going to happen, System Shock is owned by EA and in an interview Ken was asked about a third game and he said "that question is completely out of my hands." but apparently theres a rumor that EA renewed its trademark for the game couple years backhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/System_Shock_2#cite_note-65 so they might make it.
Dr Shaneman
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Dr Shaneman »

Reknoc wrote:I can't think of a single genre that suffered through use of the Wiimote.
You kept moaning about useless waggle.
Reknoc
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Reknoc »

RWDebara wrote:Not going to happen, System Shock is owned by EA and in an interview Ken was asked about a third game and he said "that question is completely out of my hands." but apparently theres a rumor that EA renewed its trademark for the game couple years backhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/System_Shock_2#cite_note-65 so they might make it.
Just making Bioshock less dumb would help.
Dr Shaneman wrote:You kept moaning about useless waggle.
That's the fault of the developers though and nothing to do with any shortcomings of the Wiimote.
Gavvie
Show DJ
Show DJ

Post by Gavvie »

Eurogamer posted a three page hands on article about the Wii U. Nice little read actually, does seem to suggest that the controller (which Mena has dubbed the WiiPad until further notice) is a lot more comfortable to hold than initial impressions suggest.

Here it is, if you fancy a read of it yourselves: CLICKY

I want this console. I like what it's doing, and I'm sure the games that come out for it are going to hold the same sort of initial appeal that the Wii had. HOWEVER. It's not exactly news that my Wii is doing a good job of collecting dust right now. Despite owning some great games for it, I just can't find it in me to turn the thing on. I keep telling myself I will, and yet I go and do something else.

I have this fear that the same thing could happen with the Wii U. I'll buy one, be wowed by what it does, and yet still put it down and move onto other things. I know some of you will be like "So don't buy one then", but that's not the point. The point is...Nintendo can hook me with handhelds, but I've never been grabbed by a console. I'm hoping the Wii U does it.

Of course, I'm also hoping it has a name change, but that's unlikely. Can't we do something daft and call it the RevolYOUtion? Worked for the Wii...

Lastly - When the Wii came out, Nintendo were adamant that the console was to be called Wii, not Nintendo Wii. Is it now Wii U, or are they putting their name back in?
Reknoc
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Reknoc »

Ignoring Gavvies ADD or whatever it is he has.

So here's a couple of disappointing things I thought of:

Now we've got a console with the tech to woo FPS developers it's primary control method is no longer the one perfect for FPS games. Though it will support the Wiimote and I assume nunchuck I hope devs have it as a control method.

The WiiU is kind of a step down in terms of design to the Wii. Since it's just one big pad instead of two separate pads. Which is a shame because the Wiimotechuck combo doesn't restrict your arms as much as conventional controllers.

On the plus side I guess we'll be getting No More Heroes 3 at some point.