(Finally) The SEGA Events/News Thread!

Strictly SEGA related discussion.
Twinny
News Team
News Team
Preferred pronouns: He/Him

Post by Twinny »

Midwinter wrote:I think it was a bad choice to not bring VC 3 worldwide after VC 2 did quite well in sales outside of Japan. I think the biggest issue was that the PSP was practically dead at retail in most places other than Japan by the time VC 3 would have been translated and localized for each market. Square Enix has done the same thing by abandoning most of their PSP games that were late in the system's life.
Square and SEGA aren't in the same league nowadays.
Radio:SEGA: Gang Since October 2010

Kaito-kun
Level 15
Level 15
Preferred pronouns: He/Him/They

Post by Kaito-kun »

Dr Shaneman wrote:Much to Kaito's delight.
Hmm, wha-?

I've nothing against dubs if they're done well.
Midwinter wrote:Is Sega not developing Valkyria Chronicles 4? I know that is a Tactical RPG, but I would assume we would see that released worldwide. I sure hope your post is not true.... :unsure:
KC wrote:Well, Valkyria Chronicles 3 didn't make it outside of Japan, so... Yeah, don't hold your breath. :(
Yeah, it's one of the linchpins of SEGA's "Too good for you filthy Westerners" club (along with Yakuza, and Phantasy Star)
Dr Shaneman wrote:Remember, Japan thinks western people hate their games.
See Capcom.
mtwinny wrote:Square and SEGA aren't in the same league nowadays.
I dunno, they're both kind of jerks.
Midwinter
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Midwinter »

Kaito-kun wrote: Yeah, it's one of the linchpins of SEGA's "Too good for you filthy Westerners" club (along with Yakuza, and Phantasy Star)
I can at least see why Yakuza is a hard sell for them outside of Japan. The units they sell are about the same as a western xbox game posts in Japan (with a lot less population).

Phantasy Star games have done even worse outside of Japan. The last one to sell decent units was the Gamecube release. And that is just decent for a Gamecube title.

They should just do a kickstarter campaign to fund translations and give us the games. Phantasy Star would be harder since servers would have to be run for the game to work properly.
Kaito-kun
Level 15
Level 15
Preferred pronouns: He/Him/They

Post by Kaito-kun »

Midwinter wrote:I can at least see why Yakuza is a hard sell for them outside of Japan.
It would help if SEGA had bothered to market it in the West. They're well made, great fun, with interesting stories and settings. The only reason more copies haven't been sold is because very few people outside of the SEGA fan community have heard of it.
Midwinter
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Midwinter »

Sadly if one of their IPs doesn't help sell t-shirts and other licensed toys and products then Sega rarely sees the benefit to them outside of Japan. Because Sonic has done so well it actually hurts the rest of their franchises and games.

I was walking through my local supermarket the other day and saw a child's Sonic t-shirt and just thought how much Sega only cares about one character. With Sonic's brand power they could have easily created some more franchises they market towards family audiences. Yet they only focus on Sonic. (Not that I'm complaining because I love Sonic, but seems like a waste not to use that notoriety and brand recognition to help themselves out in other areas)
TCB
Level 15
Level 15

Post by TCB »

Midwinter wrote:Sadly if one of their IPs doesn't help sell t-shirts and other licensed toys and products then Sega rarely sees the benefit to them outside of Japan. Because Sonic has done so well it actually hurts the rest of their franchises and games.

I was walking through my local supermarket the other day and saw a child's Sonic t-shirt and just thought how much Sega only cares about one character. With Sonic's brand power they could have easily created some more franchises they market towards family audiences. Yet they only focus on Sonic. (Not that I'm complaining because I love Sonic, but seems like a waste not to use that notoriety and brand recognition to help themselves out in other areas)
I must be narrow-minded about this, but as far as SEGA West is concerned, Sonic is essentially their only lifeline. At least in Japan other IPs do have a sense of brand-awareness along side Sonic.
Killer French Bread
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Killer French Bread »

Football manager and Total War are the big boys for Sega in Europe.
Tic Tac, sir?
TCB
Level 15
Level 15

Post by TCB »

Killer French Bread wrote:Football manager and Total War are the big boys for Sega in Europe.
Oh yes that's correct on that front.
Twinny
News Team
News Team
Preferred pronouns: He/Him

Post by Twinny »

Here's something to rustle your jimmies: New Sonic title coming out in 2015 hoo boy~
Radio:SEGA: Gang Since October 2010

TCB
Level 15
Level 15

Post by TCB »

I don't wanna ride the train just yet. The last time was pure hell.