News Team
Preferred pronouns: He/Him

Post by Twinny »

Radio:SEGA: Gang Since October 2010

Reknoc
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Reknoc »

No Wii version will probably mean an improvement. Mind, probably wont go well for SEGA.

Confused as to how this is the third multiplatform Sonic release in a row not to get a wii game though.
Gavvie
Show DJ
Show DJ

Post by Gavvie »

I THINK it's because Sonic titles haven't performed well on there recently. I know that's certainly true when it comes to Sonic 4.1. Of all the formats, I'm fairly sure the WiiWare version was the one that had sold the least.
Reknoc
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Reknoc »

With Sonic 4.1 being digital I can imagine that being the case actually. But I'm pretty sure it's the exception, not the rule. Just look at Sonic Bombarations.
TCB
Level 15
Level 15

Post by TCB »

Reknoc wrote:With Sonic 4.1 being digital I can imagine that being the case actually. But I'm pretty sure it's the exception, not the rule. Just look at Sonic Bombarations.

Sonic Bombarations? Never heard of it...I HAVE TO GET IT! :P

Seriously though, Colors sold well for the system it was on. DS...er, not so much...

Perhaps SEGA's realizing the Wii has outlived it's usefulness in terms of Sonic...I DON'T KNOW...
Reknoc
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Reknoc »

As far as I'm aware Sonic Colours sold well, Sonic Generations did not. Though that could be because it was on the wrong systems or it could be because people are sick of Sonic. Though I guess it's not all that comparable since Sonic 4 is a downloadable game.
TCB
Level 15
Level 15

Post by TCB »

Reknoc wrote:As far as I'm aware Sonic Colours sold well, Sonic Generations did not. Though that could be because it was on the wrong systems or it could be because people are sick of Sonic. Though I guess it's not all that comparable since Sonic 4 is a downloadable game.

Wrong systems? Hah, okay I can get the whole "sick of Sonic" crap....please elaborate on that for me, if you will.

And that got me thinking...where can I see some sale charts of Colors and Generations at this time of the year? Maybe you can help me on that Reknoc.
Reknoc
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Reknoc »

Uh, yes the wrong system. Sonic is a game made for kids, Nintendo systems are popular with kids and families. The only things that sell well on the HD twins are dudebro shooters.

Europe charts, where I thought it did better. You can go to previous weeks on the bottom of the first post:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=456994

NPD has it at 26th, which while no exact numbers probably isn't that high:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011- ... t-us-month

Here's a list of Media Creates charts, so unless I missed something it didn't chart once until the 3DS version came out and only came at 48:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.ph ... ostcount=8

Sonic Colours managed to eek out under 2mil sales:
http://www.siliconera.com/2011/02/04/va ... at-number/

edit: For a more fairer comparison I checked out Unleashed's sales, though the only results I got are from VGChartz who apparently aren't very trustworthy. They said 2 million world wide for that, which was released on 3 different platforms (compared to colours 1 or 2 if they counted the DS version) and the Wii version outselling the other two.
Gavvie
Show DJ
Show DJ

Post by Gavvie »

Generations has been a bit of a yo-yo when it comes to sales. I'd like to think it did fairly well when it came out, considering the month and what other games had come out alongside it. After that, it dropped considerably, but then as Christmas turned the corner and retailers dropped the price, it started to climb again.

It won't have sold bucketloads, but I think SEGA would have been aware of that. I reckon it's sold enough to keep them happy, at least it should have done.
TCB
Level 15
Level 15

Post by TCB »

Well I'll be damned then.

Gotta love Just Dance 3 beating out Modern Warfare 3...that amuses me.