Poll: Possible Forum Merger with E-On?

Have something to say, or having any issues? Let us know...

Would You Support a Forum Merger with E-On?

Yes, I would.
56%
No, I wouldn't.
44%

Total votes: 18

Reknoc
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Reknoc »

RadioSEGA is Britannia
That other forum is Japan
The other forum will become Area 11 and its previous members elevens.
jennytablina
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jennytablina »

(weird I thought I had an account at RadioSega but it seems to not exist, so shiny new account whee)

Well people want their points addressed I suppose, rather than more points. So lets tango

"E-On has an RP forum and I hate RP!"

I'm not really keen on RP myself, dabbed in it once or twice but it's just not for me. Some people like flexing their imagination in that manner though, and not everyone does it for the reasons you think they might.

Regardless Roleplay was an issue nipped in the bud at the online fandoms inception practically. Even the oldest Sonic community solved that little issue by giving Roleplayers their very own forum and stressing quite strongly that ANY RP posted out of the forum was a bannable offense. Same with those that had subforums. That said Roleplay is such an old facet in the fandom that hardly exists in the community today.

I think the most recent case of roleplay I can even recall is that TSS once a year lets forum members change their names to pretend to be various characters for a week, but interest in that has waned considerably and people changed back to normal after. But it was all a bit of fun

Every forum I've been on always made sure people kept topics where they ought to be. E-on is very much the same, anyone who lets people post things in subforums they *shouldn't* be in, isn't running a very tight ship so to speak. That's the mods and admins fault as much as the person who disregarded the rules.

"E-On is related to a Sonic site, therefore it will be Sonic talk all the time!"

First off, Sonic Wrecks itself tries to branch out from Sonic, they cover other SEGA and game related news despite the "Hedgehog Connection". They could almost be "SEGA Wrecks" but I guess the current name sticks still, because the majority of SEGA news is Sonic news (and AAUK is still a Sonic fan, even after a stint as community manager of the whole shebang ; ) )

Though honestly, at this point the Sonic community has discussed the finer points of the franchise to death, considering we've even digged into what makes the games tick ect. Older members of the fandom generally have long moved past feeling compelled to talk about only Sonic and branched out into various habits and other likes. Of course people like to talk and speculate about new games/mech ect. But we're mature enough to know that stuff stays in a specific topic or subforum. If unsure, well mods and admins are there to help show us where our posts should be : )

Even Retro and SSMB have long since branched out. Heck Retro practically have a Sonic subforum now, with anything goes for the rest of the forum (discussion wise anyway). If you want to talk about Streets of Rage or anything else, I can't imagine that would be a problem with members of E-On.

"I like having a forum with the RadioSEGA identity and I don't want it to lose that"

I feel this is maybe the most reasonable of arguments from the No camp. I understand people like coming under a common banner and change can be a threat to what you have. I understand that change is kind of scary because it could turn out bad. But it could also be good for both communities.

I've been part of communties who refuse change, because they like "how things are". This is okay to some degree, but the problem is new people become less inclined to join - because the "old guard" are so tight knit that it'ld be a long old slog to be recognised as a valid member to some. Of course people will say "I'm totally open to new people, I don't understand why this would be an issue!" - the thing is regardless how open you are to it. People are generally pretty shy and can be quick to assume they don't matter or shouldn't butt into things. It's like slowly choking the community, people will eventually leave, but if there's nobody coming in as well, then you end up with less and less people contributing to the discussion, people leaving because they are bored of this, and it all goes into a horrid downward spiral.

Things have to change to keep things fresh, nothing ever stays the same. The fandoms certainly are nothing like they were about 6 years ago. Thank god for that too, much as I miss some old haunts - theres a reason they faded out or closed, and even if you asked for them back, you would quickly find that Nostalga sure is a great clouder of judgement. People change too, so even if you keep the same people, same forum ect. You can't stop change from happening anyway.

Getting back to the matter at hand, identity is a toughie, but there's ways to work around that. One option is having a specific community subforum, though I tend to find those don't really work (they often end up dead compared to the rest of the forum) - or discuss having site indentities firmly established in some manner. Another idea is bringing everyone under a common banner together and choosing a new name together

Personally I think if there is a merger, it should be as "SEGA" fansites instead of "Sonic" like Retro and TSS are. Because I think the webmasters passions are more varied beyond blue hedgehogs ect. Certainly for RadioSEGA who stress theres more to them than Sonic too, I think this is an important point to consider. I don't think there should be competition with TSS and Retro, RadioSega, Wrecks and Emerald Coast have their unique points and should focus on defining those in this concept.
RWDebara
Level 14
Level 14

Post by RWDebara »

Here comes the SonicWreck people to vote here instead on voting and discussing on their own forums. I wonder why.
Click to reveal
Oh. Thats why.

Sorry for acting like a dick but i really don't like this idea.
foreversonic wrote:

- If we're not careful, the merger could become an E-On (or whatever it becomes) vs SSMB battle for popularity. All the other sites join forces to conquer the mighty SSMB and compete to be the best.

- One feeling that I have is that RadioSEGA, despite being a site for all things Sonic and SEGA, is a small tight-knit community. It's like one of those estates where everyone knows all the neighbours. Everyone is welcome to be part of it, but the forums are not overcrowded. One fear on a personal level is that we will then be swamped and I'll read about as much as I do on SSMB (bugger all) because there's too much going on.

- Having multiple sites and communities invokes variety. On a shopping point of view, if Walmart was the only place to buy anything, you would be stuck into whatever Walmart decide to promote, sell or praise. Role-Playing has come up as a fear but I can see their point - if there's something you don't like about something, you're not going to hang around in the hope that the rest of the site has what you want. You're more likely to look elsewhere for something that takes your fancy. But where do you go if the other possibilities are linked with the rest?

- The old phrase of "Two many Chiefs and not enough Indians" - Who makes the rules if some of the staff aren't happy with a particular incident is not agreed upon? Who will run the new forum? I know that the forums will be hosted here, but does that put Gavvie in charge of the whole idea? It has been known that if someone (not referring to any one person in particular) doesn't agree with something (not referring to any one particular incident) that people have been banned / refused access / had permissions revoked without the issue being discussed as a team. How would the sites go their separate ways, especially with RadioSEGA being the host, if the site admins stumbled across a situation that they couldn't resolve?
Good reasons why i don't want the merger. The negatives standout to me more than the positives.

EDIT: I have never stuck to a forum for this long. Most of the time i stay on a forum for a good 3 months before i lose interest because of the people. I love the community we have here. Its the only reason why i stayed here for so long, and im afraid this might ruin it.
Reknoc
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Reknoc »

foreversonic wrote:And then the negatives:

- If we're not careful, the merger could become an E-On (or whatever it becomes) vs SSMB battle for popularity. All the other sites join forces to conquer the mighty SSMB and compete to be the best.
What the fuck does this even mean? It sounds dumb.
foreversonic wrote:- One feeling that I have is that RadioSEGA, despite being a site for all things Sonic and SEGA, is a small tight-knit community. It's like one of those estates where everyone knows all the neighbours. Everyone is welcome to be part of it, but the forums are not overcrowded. One fear on a personal level is that we will then be swamped and I'll read about as much as I do on SSMB (bugger all) because there's too much going on.

A small tight-knit community generally consists of more than single digit member count though.
foreversonic wrote:- Having multiple sites and communities invokes variety. On a shopping point of view, if Walmart was the only place to buy anything, you would be stuck into whatever Walmart decide to promote, sell or praise. Role-Playing has come up as a fear but I can see their point - if there's something you don't like about something, you're not going to hang around in the hope that the rest of the site has what you want. You're more likely to look elsewhere for something that takes your fancy. But where do you go if the other possibilities are linked with the rest?

Right, except this is more like having an ASDA and a Morrisons, you're still going to get exactly the same thing so why should they be seperate?
foreversonic wrote:- The old phrase of "Two many Chiefs and not enough Indians" - Who makes the rules if some of the staff aren't happy with a particular incident is not agreed upon? Who will run the new forum? I know that the forums will be hosted here, but does that put Gavvie in charge of the whole idea? It has been known that if someone (not referring to any one person in particular) doesn't agree with something (not referring to any one particular incident) that people have been banned / refused access / had permissions revoked without the issue being discussed as a team. How would the sites go their separate ways, especially with RadioSEGA being the host, if the site admins stumbled across a situation that they couldn't resolve?
That's just bad leadership though, if shit like that happens maybe they shouldn't be in charge.
RWDebara wrote:Here comes the SonicWreck people to vote here instead on voting and discussing on their own forums. I wonder why.
Click to reveal
Oh. Thats why.

Sorry for acting like a dick but i really don't like this idea.
Being from another forum doesn't invalidate her points, though I thought JennyTablina already had an account here (in fact I'm convinced of it).
RWDebara wrote:EDIT: I have never stuck to a forum for this long. Most of the time i stay on a forum for a good 3 months before i lose interest because of the people. I love the community we have here. Its the only reason why i stayed here for so long, and im afraid this might ruin it.
I don't see why this will ruin the community.

I mean, I thought we all agreed we want a bigger community? So why not have these guys? There's no guarantee the nonexistent new members here will be any better.
RWDebara
Level 14
Level 14

Post by RWDebara »

Reknoc wrote: Being from another forum doesn't invalidate her points, though I thought JennyTablina already had an account here (in fact I'm convinced of it).
I didn't even notice her post :I I just saw that post on SW and posted it here.
Reknoc wrote: I mean, I thought we all agreed we want a bigger community? So why not have these guys? There's no guarantee the nonexistent new members here will be any better.
Yes we want a bigger community but i dont think we should drag another community into ours. I personally think thats stupid.
RWDebara
Level 14
Level 14

Post by RWDebara »

Reknoc wrote: I mean, I thought we all agreed we want a bigger community? So why not have these guys? There's no guarantee the nonexistent new members here will be any better.
Yes we want a bigger community but i dont think we should drag another community into ours. I personally think thats stupid.
jennytablina
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jennytablina »

RWDebara wrote:Here comes the SonicWreck people to vote here instead on voting and discussing on their own forums. I wonder why.
Click to reveal
Oh. Thats why.
(EDIT: seems 2nd post unlocked poll voting for me, but if people are so worried about contaminated votes, I'll respectfully not vote anyway)

I also came to RadioSEGA's forum of my own accord due to hearing things on twitter. I was in the IRC for Saturday Night Sega last night as well, so I knew this was going down.

I believe everyone only popped up to give their 2 cents, I'm not even really exclusive to ANY community. I'm a member of all the major Sonic communties to some capacity. I'm only popping in because I'm honestly surprised and a bit saddened, to see people judging a community on frankly petty and trivial reasons. I thought people were more mature than that.

Yes Sonic fans have a reputation for being a bit too passionate about the series, petty squabbles ect. Not all fans are RP fans with a lazy recolour and a power grudge against ol Green eyes. At the same time I think we have realized there are things beyond Sonic.
TCB
Level 15
Level 15

Post by TCB »

Why not have the damn merger anyway? At this point, I'm okay with it and really don't care. I may have voted no, but now that I see it, it will be fun to see how this affects RS in the long run.
Reknoc
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Reknoc »

RWDebara wrote:Yes we want a bigger community but i dont think we should drag another community into ours. I personally think thats stupid.
It's not really dragging them, I'm not sure why they wouldn't want this either.

I just had another look at the the other forum, I don't think anyone would even notice the difference, it seems like a wasteland there as well.
Shadid

Post by Shadid »

TheChaosBlue wrote:Why not have the damn merger anyway? At this point, I'm okay with it and really don't care. I may have voted no, but now that I see it, it will be fun to see how this affects RS in the long run.
That can be arranged, editing shortly.

As for my stance on this, I'll elaborate my viewpoint later tomorrow, rather tired to do any typing on a mobile phone.
I live here now!