Poll: Possible Forum Merger with E-On?

Have something to say, or having any issues? Let us know...

Would You Support a Forum Merger with E-On?

Yes, I would.
56%
No, I wouldn't.
44%

Total votes: 18

Tru
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Tru »

This is a random idea that I'm just throwing in here, but couldn't we just split up the SEGA/Sonic discussion by having a Sonic forum/sub-forum and keeping it all in there? Then everyone would be happy >_>
Gavvie
Show DJ
Show DJ

Post by Gavvie »

Yes, I would imagine that's entirely possible. The thing with a merger is that we could look at what works, what doesn't, and build the forum around that.
RWDebara
Level 14
Level 14

Post by RWDebara »

Kaito-kun wrote:No, I've wanted an interesting community. I'd be happier with a smaller community with people I enjoy hearing the views, thoughts and opinions of than a large one full of people I'd be happier without.

Also, I don't trust any forum with a "Role-Playing" subforum.
I agree with Kaito.
ResidentSD
Show DJ
Show DJ

Post by ResidentSD »

I'm not going to vote on the poll as I don't know exactly what I'm voting for. Hopefully it'll be clear what I mean by that by the end of this post.

Firstly, I'd like to start by making it clear that I have no issues with the Sonic Wrecks website at all. It's probably the site where I consume most of my SEGA/Sonic based news. I enjoy seeing their posts appear on my Twitter stream and I like AAUK and the crews style of posting and podcasting. I don't even have a problem with their colour scheme! They would make a fantastic partner for RadioSEGA and having Radio Redux on RS is undoubtedly a plus for the station.

As someone who's known SegaMark for a long time, even before RadioSEGA existed, I've been with RadioSEGA since the start. However much that sometimes I don't want to be part of RadioSEGA, I keep coming back because I love this place. It's got some fantastic people and some of the best live programming on the internet. I desperately (despite what some may think) want RadioSEGA to succeed and be as big as it can be and I'd like to think that, with SEGA AGES, I've done my bit to help in the past as the show has brought people to RadioSEGA in the past.

As it stands right now, RadioSEGA has two things going for it - the radio station and the forums. I know that is due to change in the future, but right now Project 7 doesn't exist to the masses. Therefore, the forums are a massive part of what RadioSEGA is. Technically that doesn't need to be lost as part of a merger, which brings me to my biggest issue with a merger.

Identity.

E-On, right now, is the forums of Sonic Wrecks, Emerald Coast and SEGA Media. So technically it's the forums of all three and it's identity is with all three sites. However, it's web address is sonicwrecks.com/forum. It looks like Sonic Wrecks. It feels like Sonic Wrecks. Gavvie even referred to the merger as merging with Sonic Wrecks. No mention of EC or SM. My fear is that it wouldn't be a merger. It would be RadioSEGA becoming part of the Sonic Wrecks forums. Even if you were to skin the RadioSEGA section, being on the sonicwrecks.com domain would make it feel like the RadioSEGA forums aren't part of RadioSEGA anymore.

This may sound stupid (and I know it will never happen) but if you said the forums would be on a separate domain, not linked to any website, then I'd be all for that. As long as RadioSEGA had a skinned area of the forums, I'd be absolutely happy with that.

A couple of final points - I know that foreversonic has already paid for vBulletin 4, so I doubt he'd be happy with the forums not happening. And secondly, Gavvie mentioned on Twitter last night that the Project 7 website is "no more integrated [with the forums] than it [RS6.5] is currently." vBulletin is an integral part of the RadioSEGA site as it is the login provider for the entire website. vBulletin logins power the requests, commenting and admin CMS. If this is lost, foreversonic will have to create a login provider just for the site (assuming P7 doesn't use another CMS, which, at last I heard, it isn't). This would also lead to two logins for the site and the forums, assuming you don't create a universal login provider for SW, E-On and RS. Not the biggest deal, but a bit of a pain. Just wanted to make clear, from a technical standpoint, that the forums are very important in terms of the entire website.

So, in summary, I'm all for anything that improves RadioSEGA and makes it more appealing to the people that visit it. However, I fear that if the RadioSEGA forums merge with E-On exactly as it is now, you'd lose an important part of what RadioSEGA is. It may be a small community, but it's a pretty awesome community - my favourite of all those in the SEGA and Sonic universe. However, whatever decision is made, I'll continue to support you guys.

Update - Just noticed that Tru/CapnCloudchaser also made the point about identity. As you can see above, my main crux with the issue is the same.
Tru
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Tru »

From Gavvie's original post, it sounded like Sonic Wrecks and crew would be coming here, under the RadioSEGA domain (in terms of their forum/community), as a sub-domain.

Can you clarify that, Gavvie? And how do the Sonic Wrecks guys feel about being under this domain, if so?
Gavvie
Show DJ
Show DJ

Post by Gavvie »

Just to re-iterate, we're looking at hosting the forums here so that the integrated login with the website remains the same, so the forums would basically be transferring from Sonic Wrecks to here, and we would be hosting the forums for the other sites.

I suppose, if you want to cut it down to its most basic of levels, we want to rename our forums Entherial Online, and invite Sonic Wrecks, Emerald Coast & SEGA Media in on the party.

Discussions with AAUK and Vger (SW & EC Admins) have been met with approval of this idea. I've also had a natter with FastFeet (SM Admin & current host of E-On) and he's OK with us hosting the forum for the benefits it gives us on the website.
Killer French Bread
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Killer French Bread »

Fuck em
Tic Tac, sir?
Tru
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Tru »

Okay, a second question: why "Entherial Online"? I've never really been sure of what the name means.

In terms of branding, RadioSEGA is much easier to recognise. Even Sonic Wrecks is.
Reknoc
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Reknoc »

Just as an aside, there are more people on now because of this poll than there usually is.
ResidentSD
Show DJ
Show DJ

Post by ResidentSD »

Gavvie wrote:Just to re-iterate, we're looking at hosting the forums here so that the integrated login with the website remains the same, so the forums would basically be transferring from Sonic Wrecks to here, and we would be hosting the forums for the other sites.

I suppose, if you want to cut it down to its most basic of levels, we want to rename our forums Entherial Online, and invite Sonic Wrecks, Emerald Coast & SEGA Media in on the party.

Discussions with AAUK and Vger (SW & EC Admins) have been met with approval of this idea. I've also had a natter with FastFeet (SM Admin & current host of E-On) and he's OK with us hosting the forum for the benefits it gives us on the website.
Well that's a horse of a different colour.

I've never loved the name E-On, but generally it doesn't sound like a bad idea as part of the new RadioSEGA. That'd be my final thought on that - is E-On is the right brand?

Oh, and I've just voted yes on the poll.