Poll: Possible Forum Merger with E-On?

Have something to say, or having any issues? Let us know...

Would You Support a Forum Merger with E-On?

Yes, I would.
56%
No, I wouldn't.
44%

Total votes: 18

TCB
Level 15
Level 15

Post by TCB »

SSMB is like a jungle in there! lol

Seriously, SSMB is pretty alright, but I know this has nothing to do with 'competiton' or being 'on-par' with them.
Gavvie
Show DJ
Show DJ

Post by Gavvie »

OK then, this has been open long enough for people from all walks of life, forum wise, to have waded in and had their say on the matter, so I suppose I should come in and wrap it all up.

First of all, I'd like to thank you all for your opinions, those of you who gave them and had sufficient reasons to back them up. We may have had some disagreements along the way, but I appreciate that you spoke your mind. I had said in the OP that this was going to be a community decision, and I'm going to stick by that, regardless of my personal opinions. But before we get to that, I'm just going to say a few words.

As a couple of you had guessed, I am in favour of a merger between the forums. In my mind, I see no harm in a merger between RS & E-On. Using vBulletin as a base, and having users of three other websites coming to RadioSEGA for their daily forum usage, I have no doubt in my mind that the radio stream itself would see more listeners, and would therefore increase the number of people our live shows go out to. Also, any RS-related promotion would go out to four times the number of people. Again, in my head there was no way this could go wrong.

There are those of you out there who thought it would, however, with the main sticking point being the RP Forum, unused though it currently is. It's a real shame that so many of you seemed to be hung up on a feature that you could easily ignore, but again, not going to criticise. It's your opinion, and it's respected.

Anyway, looking at the poll, I can say that there has been a decision made, which may confuse a few of you because the voting is tied at 9 a piece. Well, during Sunday, AAUK and myself agreed that if the poll was to result in a tie, we would stay as we are, so that's exactly what we're going to do.

Of course, this isn't the end of anything. We at RadioSEGA are going to explore our options when it comes to partnering with our affiliates, and no, I don't mean we're looking at merging forums again. There's other things we could be, can be, and are doing to spread the name of RadioSEGA around, so keep your eyes and ears open for those. We'll announce in due course.

Finally, I would like to apologise about the complete and utter chaos that seemed to erupt from this thread. It seemed to drag people in from all over the community like some sort of black hole, and whilst it was nice to see us be the centre of attention for a change (even if it was for all the wrong reasons), I did feel it could've all been avoided.

So there we go. I asked, you argued, but you also decided. Going to leave this thread open a couple more days for you to have a natter if you need to, but the poll is now closed.
TCB
Level 15
Level 15

Post by TCB »

Well, what's done is done. But, I'm feeling some disappointment from you and I understand that. At first I was slightly against it for how lost this community could have been with SM, EC ans SW came over, but now I warmed up to it.

And for the RP thing...is it really that bad? I thought it was all in the name of fun.
Quills on Wheels
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Quills on Wheels »

No, it's not that bad. I was all up for the RPs actually.

I also disagreed with the merging thing. Now though... I feel a bit guilty perhaps. Maybe it wasn't much of a bad idea if we did merge.

EDIT: Not that I ever really said, it was a bad idea.
Tru
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Tru »

I'm somewhat disappointed by this decision, especially as E-On is such a big part of RadioSEGA anyway within the show line up. In my mind, it is something that the longest running members and staff should have really decided. People like Gavvie, Simon, SD etc. they've been with RS the most, they know what is right for the forum. Hell, even getting SEGAMark's opinion would have been beneficial.

I've run various communities in the past, although I'm not entirely sure how good my advice is, but the biggest problem presented by a merger, other than forum identity, was raised by Foreversonic who stated that there would need to be a proper staff structure in place. Each of the major website holders would be admin status, but there would also need to be a tech guy up keep the forum running, plus and agreed upon hierarchy for their own chosen staff. But this itself may even be beneficial to the community, breathe more life into it and encourage more communication between staff members, something which I honestly believe RS suffers from in its current incarnation.

Even the RS identity would be safe, really. The community is kinda split into two; you've got the forum goers and those that listen to the live shows and chat in the IRC. I don't really see much cross over. The live shows and IRC will remain the same, but hopefully become more popular ad active and the forum will just get a reorganise with more discussion going on. It's a change, yes, but that's the only way forums grow. Otherwise you end up with the same clique of people and newbies get put off. I think the comments in this thread have already shown that.

As for RPing... You guys may wanna ignore Sword of SEGA from now on, bwahaha!

Seriously though, if the RS staff thought this was the right way to go, then they should go for it. You gotta crack some eggs to make an omelette.
TCB
Level 15
Level 15

Post by TCB »

...Holy crap Batman, the poll changed! Seems that it will go on then...wonder who changed their minds...

Anyway, looks like it will happen then. Will it be in March, in which I considered it a big month for RadioSEGA?
Wrath Oskvro
Level 15
Level 15
Preferred pronouns: Bruh

Post by Wrath Oskvro »

Kaito did. Lol
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1cmXX ... T2LjS5oUOg Like guitars? Like games? Like Metal? Check my Youtoob.
Gavvie
Show DJ
Show DJ

Post by Gavvie »

Yeah, Kaito changed his vote. However, this was after I had closed the poll, and thus the decision taken at that time still stands, regardless of what the poll shows now.

Tru did raise some good points in her post, and whilst I'd be inclined to agree and try to press on with a merger to see how we'd get on, I'm also stubborn. I said that this was to be a community decision, and I'm not going to turn around now and go against that decision. If I did, this decision could very well have been made internally, and this thread unneeded.
TCB
Level 15
Level 15

Post by TCB »

Well, those two new votes were all for naught then.

And yeah you are right Gavvie, but...at this point I don't what else to say.

...banana. There.
Tru
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Tru »

Again, this is just my opinion, but running an online community is a lot like running a business. You need rules, staff, work getting finished to deadlines in order to make any real progress, goals for the future, a mission statement to work by, clear leaders that can inspire their community to contribute, marketing and advertising campaigns, and occasionally making difficult decisions that ultimately benefit the site later on.

Popular and big communities sure take a lot of work to build up. As I'm sure the staff are aware, taking care of a community is practically a second job, only an underpaid and under-appreciated one at that. I would say it's best to help each other out as much as possible!