SEGA Mixer Drive - Discussion Thread

The latest updates and comments on our Live Shows...
SoloNerfherder
Level 5
Level 5

Post by SoloNerfherder »

Whooa21 wrote:If you would like to get the newest podcasts go to RadioSEGA Media (http://www.radiosegamedia.net/podcasts/ ... xer-drive/) as the RSS feeds are a bit behind and need to get fixed.
Apologies for the inconvenience!
Thanks. I know where to go, just that method doesn't play nice with apps that rely on RSS feeds. I'll just wait till the RSS feeds are fixed. Seems like I come here every couple of months to this thread to moan about the broken RSS feeds, so I wanted to be positive and say I'd like to help if I can. But if you don't need the help, that's cool, too. I just want my RadioSEGA shows bad without sounding like a curmudgeon or something :D

Love what you guys do!
Rexy
Show DJ
Show DJ

Post by Rexy »

Thought I'd pose the question in here, again.

So, back in early April, I was getting really aggressive about request droughts. So much that if I didn't have around 3-ish by Tuesday night, I'd start begging for them all over my Twitter feed. I took peoples' advice in around that time, and took in a great idea going forward with the monthly DJ sets, which have been very useful for dry spells and have gotten me to play some tracks that may have otherwise gone unnoticed.

In the months following, I had generally been more consistent with my promotional tactics - get the blog up around Monday night (couple of days later if it's a DJ set), and promote it on Twitter 2-3 times a day. It's been getting slow going moreso these past few weeks, but things had still been sufficient enough to build a setlist.

However, that was before the events of last night.

I had done a DJ set the week before, and had done my usual promotion - the blog up mid-week, lots of posting on Twitter... but by midnight on Wednesday, the request pool was insufficient. Now I am aware that I should fill up some empty space myself, but I like to structure things around the requests I receive, and it'll be hard if all I am given is just one or two of them. Add to the listener count in comparison to earlier on in the show's run (heck, the July 19 show in particular had a new low set) and this is something I got to ask - this show needs another revamp.

So I have asked for bumpers from remixers and other voice artists alike; that's going down good. The DJ sets are also going down good, even though they're once monthly generally. And the themed weeks (which is no more than 2 a month) are going down good too. But what I need are more ideas to really revamp the show. Got any problems with it? State it here. Got any ideas which would make it stand out? State it here too. Should it be a different format (like the DJ weeks) it's likely to take effect from September onwards, but whichever is the case, I am definitely looking for help.

Please respond. I don't get paid for being a DJ on this station, but right now it's the only major responsibility that I have and I don't want to lose it.
Kaito-kun
Level 15
Level 15
Preferred pronouns: He/Him/They

Post by Kaito-kun »

Take a break?
Rexy
Show DJ
Show DJ

Post by Rexy »

I don't want to take a break - it's only a short term solution to a long term problem. I should know that when I was a Minecraft whore x_x
Kaito-kun
Level 15
Level 15
Preferred pronouns: He/Him/They

Post by Kaito-kun »

Rexy wrote:I should know that when I was a Minecraft whore x_x
...I'm not sure if I want to know.
Rexy
Show DJ
Show DJ

Post by Rexy »

Lol... I wasn't meaning that like THAT o.o

But in all seriousness, here's one thing going forward. I've seen various DJs admit they don't get as many requests as they used to on their OWN shows. That tells me I need even LESS listener weeks going forward.

But is there any additions you would like to the show type, aside from themed weeks and genre-specific DJ sets?
TCB
Level 15
Level 15

Post by TCB »

I don't know really; have you ever done an Artist Highlight show?

Plus these past few weeks have been a slow one since it's the dead of summer and more people who are listeners of this show are probably out and about. That's my hunch.
Rexy
Show DJ
Show DJ

Post by Rexy »

It's a strange one because:

During school hours: Can't listen in, clashing with classes / work
When school's out: Doing something else, can't listen in

I guess I'm learning that I can't seem to figure out what really is the best time of year to gain social followings. Oh well.

Oddly, one of the ideas that did get thrown around is a week where an artist takes over and shares their favorite works. It seems to be a popular idea, though a difficult one to pull off due to A) timeslot, and B) whoever's available to actually do it. In perspective, I actually asked 5 more artists for remix bumpers, but none of them got back to me; how am I supposed to handle entire shows if that may not be managed?

Still, one good idea that came through was to focus on actual games being covered. And we have the Game of the Month covering that too, so one additional idea to come out of it would be to focus one week per month on the GotM (or said game and its relating series if there's not enough coverage). Regardless, as a result of this, Free-For-Alls would be restricted to once a month now, twice if we're lucky enough.

Whichever is the case, the F4A will still go on ahead tomorrow, but out of guilt for over-pushing it I'm filling the rest of the spots myself (unless anyone really, REALLY wants to hear a specific track). The Best of British episode next week will still happen as normal.

As for September's outlook, as a result of the discussion it will appear like this:

Sept 6 - Dreamcast Special
Sept 13 - DJ Set
Sept 20 - A special show based around the GotM
Sept 27 - Free-For-All

Having guests on would be something to consider for the future, but it will take a lot of planning and organisation to make it work. Not to mention because of said guests, these types of shows may be longer (est. 30 minutes?) than the usual due to the amount of banter involved. It's definitely something to think about.
TCB
Level 15
Level 15

Post by TCB »

Rexy wrote:It's a strange one because:

Oddly, one of the ideas that did get thrown around is a week where an artist takes over and shares their favorite works. It seems to be a popular idea, though a difficult one to pull off due to A) timeslot, and B) whoever's available to actually do it. In perspective, I actually asked 5 more artists for remix bumpers, but none of them got back to me; how am I supposed to handle entire shows if that may not be managed?
As far as this idea is concerned, this is alright. But like you said, it takes planning way beforehand to set things up efficiently. However, I would actually have those artists join you as guests while you handle any technically stuff that you usually associate with the show. Like make a small talk section at the beginning (as usual), invite the guest, and then not make an appearance until the end of the show with thanks and all that.
Still, one good idea that came through was to focus on actual games being covered. And we have the Game of the Month covering that too, so one additional idea to come out of it would be to focus one week per month on the GotM (or said game and its relating series if there's not enough coverage). Regardless, as a result of this, Free-For-Alls would be restricted to once a month now, twice if we're lucky enough.
As long as the GotM is frequently addressed to, then why not. If restricting the Free-for-All shows to once per month has to happen, then so be it.
Whichever is the case, the F4A will still go on ahead tomorrow, but out of guilt for over-pushing it I'm filling the rest of the spots myself (unless anyone really, REALLY wants to hear a specific track). The Best of British episode next week will still happen as normal.

As for September's outlook, as a result of the discussion it will appear like this:

Sept 6 - Dreamcast Special
Sept 13 - DJ Set
Sept 20 - A special show based around the GotM
Sept 27 - Free-For-All

Having guests on would be something to consider for the future, but it will take a lot of planning and organisation to make it work. Not to mention because of said guests, these types of shows may be longer (est. 30 minutes?) than the usual due to the amount of banter involved. It's definitely something to think about.
I do have a couple of requests; Digital Dimension (Urban Flows Mix) and Trick or Threat (Dragon Road & Under Ground) by DJ Mokram.
SimonShirley
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by SimonShirley »

Just trying to thing of tracks that I haven't heard for a while.

Rexy - Tactile Snowfall
Joe Redifer - Sugar High (Alex Kidd)
DJ Mystix - Lady in Black (Bayonetta / After Burner)
Rayza - Main Theme "Blue Square Mix" (Columns)
Scarredsim - Immortal Souls (Eternal Champions)
Zircon - Perpetual Motion (Eternal Champions)
Ryu7x - Journey to the Finish (Hang On)
Joe Redifer - Door Into Summer (Knuckles Chaotix)
Dusk ft Rexy - Stars on Ice (Ristar)
Dale North - Tomato Tomahtoh (Shenmue)
DarkeSword - The Twinkle Park Classic (Sonic Adventure)
José the Bronx Recan - Corner of Sunset and Keys (Revenge of Shinobi)
Long time lurker and sometimes chief assistant. More the former.