Digimon vs Pokemon?

Non-SEGA? Shove your general gaming posts in here...
Killer French Bread
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Killer French Bread »

You mean like nik naks? Not in this country, they were exactly the same as wotsits, perhaps a tiny bit bigger but that was it. Apparently it's a different story abroad though.
Tic Tac, sir?
Kaito-kun
Level 15
Level 15
Preferred pronouns: He/Him/They

Post by Kaito-kun »

Killer French Bread wrote:You mean like nik naks? Not in this country, they were exactly the same as wotsits, perhaps a tiny bit bigger but that was it. Apparently it's a different story abroad though.
I see, I see, I've never had Cheetohs in this country before.
Killer French Bread
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Killer French Bread »

I doubt they exist anymore. I think they went the way of dig'em the frog and his honey smacks and died in the 90s due to being crushed by the similar competitor.

I remember them being in shops around the era of sundog cheesy popcorn.
Tic Tac, sir?
aziz
Level 1
Level 1

Post by aziz »

digimon had better anime or cartoon
Twinny
News Team
News Team
Preferred pronouns: He/Him

Post by Twinny »

Well Digimon Fusion (the English name for Cross Wars) is soon to air here in the States, so maybe it may rekindle interest in the series again. Then again, I have lost SO MUCH interest in Digimon since Digital Monsters...so yea.
Radio:SEGA: Gang Since October 2010

metalgamer
Level 8
Level 8

Post by metalgamer »

This one is biased sadly, but my points are as follows:

Digimon has the best story out of the two by far, I love the dark themes of the anime that are still okay for kids, it's also very well written (not counting the first series which I can't stand) and has a overall better show. I feel the Pokemon franchises stories to be lack luster at best, but I guess the series shouldn't really be deep, it's best to be light-hearted and still keep it's little adult jokes in occasionally.

For characters, It depends on whether we look at the human characters or the Pokemon/Digimon. For human characters, I can say that Digimon is better because the characters aren't one dimensional and I can feel connected to some of them. Not that I hate the Pokemon human characters, I like them but they aren't on the same level. For non humans, I far prefer the designs of Pokemon compared to Digimon, they look so much better and much more inventive to me and they don't all have mon at the end of their names, which honestly annoys me.)

Never played a Digimon game past the first one, but I play Pokemon games all the time. They are fantastic games (for the most part). I can't come to a conclusion since I haven't played Digimon games, but thought I would pitch in some thoughts about each series.
Quills on Wheels
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Quills on Wheels »

For me I always split the non-human characters (A.K.A the Digimon/pokemon) into two main characteristics. The Design and their name.

In design, Digimon was, is and will always be the obvious winner. They are far better designed and because of the Digivolution gimmick, it allows for far more freedom in designing stronger digimon unlike Pokemon's Three evolution limit. They look much more badass (biased opinions are biased) and just generally... soo awesome. I mean, Metal Greymon and characters like him still give me goosebumps.
Pokemon on the other hand has lost its touch when it comes to making up new pokemon. Sure, digimon has got its own fare share of bad or weirdly designed digimon but in the end, Pokemon takes the price with pokemon based off of two coned icecreams and swords...

Now sadly on the naming, I would have to agree that Digimon was never good in naming their digimon. Apart from the obvious "mon" after each name, all names are just... so obvious. For example Devimon. Oh I wonder what that stands for. "Devimon" = "Devil Monsters". Or "Seadramon" = "Sea Dragon Monster". Not mentioning how many names are often overused. Pokemon has had better names but eh.

IN the end though, my love for Digimon is... just heaps lol.
mtwinny wrote:Well Digimon Fusion (the English name for Cross Wars) is soon to air here in the States, so maybe it may rekindle interest in the series again. Then again, I have lost SO MUCH interest in Digimon since Digital Monsters...so yea.
Don't get your hopes up. I've heard Xross Wars is crap and just a disappointment. Perhaps only a few episodes are worth and those are the episodes in which all the previous main protagonists from previous shows come together to fight the main bad guy.
Reknoc
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Reknoc »

one thing digimon has going for it: Hosoda directed an episode of the anime and two of the films
Kaito-kun
Level 15
Level 15
Preferred pronouns: He/Him/They

Post by Kaito-kun »

Reknoc wrote:one thing digimon has going for it: Hosoda directed an episode of the anime and two of the films
Note to self: Watch those films.
Dr Shaneman
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Dr Shaneman »

I don't believe I've heard of any of the films.