Sonic: Lost World (Wii U/3DS)

Strictly SEGA related discussion.
Reknoc
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Reknoc »

TheChaosBlue wrote:I really don't see not having a story in the Sonic games makes the game better. Sure the last couple of stories were meh if you were really critical about it (Generations though....eh), but what's wrong with adding a bit more exposition?
Because it's awful and doesn't actually add anything to the game? It just gets in the way.
Twinny
News Team
News Team
Preferred pronouns: He/Him

Post by Twinny »

Then maybe the "story through gameplay" would work better in this case, rather for some people here?
Radio:SEGA: Gang Since October 2010

TCB
Level 15
Level 15

Post by TCB »

Reknoc wrote:Because it's awful and doesn't actually add anything to the game? It just gets in the way.
So it's a sin for a Sonic game to not have a story, even along the lines of the Classic era games at the very least?

Yes, the recent stories weren't that great, seeing as though it's 'appealing' to younger audiences. I still think it's silly do completely do away with story in a Sonic game. If Generations were to be completely stripped of any narrative. Hell; I don't see how it's 'getting in the way' if the recent stories doesn't have any substance in them in the first place.
Kaito-kun
Level 15
Level 15
Preferred pronouns: He/Him/They

Post by Kaito-kun »

TheChaosBlue wrote:If Generations were to be completely stripped of any narrative (yes, even its bare bones story had SOMETHING there) and just the gameplay itself it would have been a much quicker game to beat and would have felt much less satisfying based on how much time went into the game.
Length and quality are two different things. I'd rather have a short, fun game than a long, bad game. If you can't enjoy a game for it's gameplay then it can't be a good game.
TCB
Level 15
Level 15

Post by TCB »

Kaito-kun wrote:Length and quality are two different things. I'd rather have a short, fun game than a long, bad game. If you can't enjoy a game for it's gameplay then it can't be a good game.
And I realized that, hence why I took back what I said about it. When it all comes down to it the gameplay is first and foremost.

It doesn't hurt to add story and characterization does it?
Reknoc
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Reknoc »

TheChaosBlue wrote:So it's a sin for a Sonic game to not have a story, even along the lines of the Classic era games at the very least?

Yes, the recent stories weren't that great, seeing as though it's 'appealing' to younger audiences. I still think it's silly do completely do away with story in a Sonic game. If Generations were to be completely stripped of any narrative. Hell; I don't see how it's 'getting in the way' if the recent stories doesn't have any substance in them in the first place.
I've already explained how they get in the way, cutscenes take you out of the game regardless of whether you skip them or not, it's extra loading for shit I don't give a fuck about and lowers my enjoyment while playing.
TheChaosBlue wrote:It doesn't hurt to add story and characterization does it?
When it's bad, yes.
TCB
Level 15
Level 15

Post by TCB »

Reknoc wrote:I've already explained how they get in the way, cutscenes take you out of the game regardless of whether you skip them or not, it's extra loading for shit I don't give a fuck about and lowers my enjoyment while playing.
So Classic era like story sequence is ideal for you? I'm quite curious now about your take on story in Sonic games.
When it's bad, yes.
True, so what makes a story in the Sonic games 'good' to you? Or on a more general sense, platformers in this recent time of video games?
Reknoc
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Reknoc »

TheChaosBlue wrote:So Classic era like story sequence is ideal for you? I'm quite curious now about your take on story in Sonic games.
I think my take has been pretty clear, they're bad and I'd rather they not exist.
TheChaosBlue wrote:True, so what makes a story in the Sonic games 'good' to you? Or on a more general sense, platformers in this recent time of video games?
Generally I'd say story isn't really welcome in platformers. Ratchet and Clank has been alright, the story isn't particularly good, but the humour and cutscenes themselves and well done. A good story within a platformer the storybook in Mario Galaxy springs to mind, which was entirely optional (the Made in Heaven ending was pretty surprising as well).

But! Two of the best platformers this gen; Donkey Kong Country Returns and Rayman Origins; neither has any real story they're just non-bullshit platformers that know how amazing designed they are and don't need to stop you playing other than to select levels.
TCB
Level 15
Level 15

Post by TCB »

Eh. Fair enough I suppose. You prefer story in some kinds of genre of video game over others. Fine with that.
BluePuyo
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BluePuyo »

TheChaosBlue wrote:It doesn't hurt to add story and characterization does it?
I like when any game tries to develop a story and its characters, it adds an essence to any series. Even in Sonic games. Although I feel I'm in a minority when saying this.

That aspect was really weak in recent games. I don't want a convoluted mess like Sonic 06, but neither attempted jokes and unnecesary monologues like Sonic Colors. Regarding Lost World, the only cutscene revealed so far shows they are moving away slightly from Colors/Generations territory. In other words, lame stories.

But is a platformer, generally people want to jump right into the action, so it's understandable if they aren't focusing a lot on that.