What do you hope to achieve?

What it says on the tin...
Quills on Wheels
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Quills on Wheels »

Same here. Read it all mate. Good luck in trying to achieve your goal.

I think I need to find motivation to follow my goal as well. I mean, probably the biggest goal I hope to achieve in life is to become a well known animator or concept artist in either the movie or gaming industry. Just deciding on this goal had been a struggle as not only did I have to battle doubts within myself, but doubts within others as well, especially my own parents. I mean, when one of your parents is a highly successful cardiologist and the other one has a PhD in Chemical Engineering, it's quite embarresing when the son wants to follow a low money career like computers and art. Afterall, a thing that matters a lot in today's society is money and with money, you can do everything... So for someone like me with high grades, a job like a Lawyer or Doctor sounded much more... profitable.

However of course, throughout the previous year I discussed matters with my parents and was granted the choice of following my own dream(though my dad still believes that it's a huge risk.). Even so, I sometimes can't help but feel embarrassed by the same thought or scarred that it might now work out well for me. I mean, my art isn't bad but it's nothing. I can't even animate yet. To add to that, I don't often find myself with enough motivation to do it. I'm lazy and waste my time with games. Plus being in the final years of high school means I have a lot of homework to do with heavy pressure.

However, people always tell me to follow my dreams no matter what and do what i want to do. One of the recent videos I've seen also proved somewhat inspiring and reconstructed my hope of becoming an animator. To add, Shadid's video also gave me some sort of idea for getting motivation.

I hope to be able to get back into art and get serious about it. So that's my goal to achieve in the distant future.
p_nut_uk
Level 5
Level 5

Post by p_nut_uk »

It's so easy to let outside forces shape your life, I went through many years of college and Uni to only find whilst in my uni course that I REALLY didn't want to be a games programmer any more, so once I realised that I did NOTHING to address what I really wanted to do and ended up getting married then my priorities changed again and suddenly I became focused on being the person everyone else wanted me to be, mature, sensible, completely self sacrificing. I then ended up owning my own fish an chip business which to cut a long story short I don't have anymore.

Now seperated I can see how much I changed, my mood became far happier after a few days and suddenly I remembered who I was and now i'm back to the confident, free spirited, happy go lucky guy I was before full of ambition.

Now that I haven't a penny and no wife, the worries are gone and the chances to improve my knowledge and skills have increased. (not easy when you got a huge mortgage) Now i'm going to take up airsoft skirmishing like I always wanted to do and generally do things for me for a change, a little bit of selfishness isn't a bad thing.
TCB
Level 15
Level 15

Post by TCB »

Well, right now something I really hope to achieve is being more confident in socializing outside the internet and around college. I have a hard time getting to be social, mainly due to self-doubt.
Shadid

Post by Shadid »

Thank you all for your replies, it really means a lot. :)
p_nut_uk wrote:It's so easy to let outside forces shape your life, I went through many years of college and Uni to only find whilst in my uni course that I REALLY didn't want to be a games programmer any more, so once I realised that I did NOTHING to address what I really wanted to do and ended up getting married then my priorities changed again and suddenly I became focused on being the person everyone else wanted me to be, mature, sensible, completely self sacrificing. I then ended up owning my own fish an chip business which to cut a long story short I don't have anymore.

Now seperated I can see how much I changed, my mood became far happier after a few days and suddenly I remembered who I was and now i'm back to the confident, free spirited, happy go lucky guy I was before full of ambition.

Now that I haven't a penny and no wife, the worries are gone and the chances to improve my knowledge and skills have increased. (not easy when you got a huge mortgage) Now i'm going to take up airsoft skirmishing like I always wanted to do and generally do things for me for a change, a little bit of selfishness isn't a bad thing.
I know how you felt, even if marriage is a much more serious commitment. Unfortunately life does this to you, sometimes decisions are made just to make us stand longer instead of what makes us happy, full of ambition, and joy. It's why I want to make a change, I want to feel like I achieved something, or something like that.

As for your event chain, I'm glad you felt more motivated, best of luck for the future :)
I live here now!
Tru
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Tru »

p_nut_uk wrote:It's so easy to let outside forces shape your life, I went through many years of college and Uni to only find whilst in my uni course that I REALLY didn't want to be a games programmer any more, so once I realised that I did NOTHING to address what I really wanted to do and ended up getting married then my priorities changed again and suddenly I became focused on being the person everyone else wanted me to be, mature, sensible, completely self sacrificing. I then ended up owning my own fish an chip business which to cut a long story short I don't have anymore.

Why did you separate from your wife if you don't mind me asking?

I married quite young at 19 when I had never lived on my own, never struggled on my own, never had true independence, true freedom. I never managed to stay single long enough to enjoy being single.

Now, nine years later, I'm not the same person any more. I didn't even know who I was back then, and I grew a lot, changed a lot... That's the problem with marrying young. Course, my husband is eleven years older than me, already developed, hasn't really changed at all to be honest.

And I want so many different things, we're just not compatible any more. I love him, he's my best friend, but... That's it.

It's a difficult one. I feel selfish for having these emotions but they've grown stronger with each passing year. We've got a great flat together, we've got pets, no kids, but I want to have kids in the future, except maybe not, if my marriage isn't as great as it should be?

My life is awesome, or should be awesome, except for this hanging over me. He doesn't see anything wrong at all. It's just me. I know marriage counselling is the obvious step.

I just want to be alone and be me. Do my own thing. Be my own person for the first time ever.

So yeah, that's what I want to achieve. Heavy stuff, right?
Gavvie
Show DJ
Show DJ

Post by Gavvie »

What do I hope to achieve? Global Domination.

...Oh, you want a serious answer? Fair enough - I don't really know. Honestly, I don't.

Growing up, I had this ambition to work in the games industry, as I'm sure many of us here probably did, and through one fault or another, I never really got my way in that regard. I either took the wrong courses or didn't do well in the ones that mattered, and I eventually found myself working a weekend job at a stationers. Not fun, let me tell you.

So, feeling that my chance had up and left, I decided to try and make a go at being somebody in the retail industry, and hopped from job to job trying to find the one who'd give me a chance. When I did, the manager who had placed so much faith in me was replaced by a sexist little bitch who felt that I wasn't deserving of the courses I'd been booked on. I eventually left that job and ended up where I am now, moving out of the retail industry and into the optical one. Has much changed? Not really - I still consider myself on the bottom rung of the ladder, having been kept there when I wanted to start climbing, and offered empty promises in the hope of keeping me quiet.

I'm sort of left here now as a somewhat jaded person when it comes to my professional life - I don't really have much in the way of ambition, as every time I've gotten close to something it's been ripped away. Instead, I'm focusing more on making sure I enjoy the things that matter in my personal life. I'm a couple of months away from a pretty big house move, and then from there there's some other things that I'm going to be organising - a wedding being one of them. It's exciting, a little daunting as well, but mainly exciting.
Kaito-kun
Level 15
Level 15
Preferred pronouns: He/Him/They

Post by Kaito-kun »

Well...This thread certainly took a turn for the emotional.

Everyone's sharing their hopes, dreams, aspirations, epiphanies, life experiences, ups and downs and...well, generally being quite deep. However, I wish the best for all of you. I really do.

I'm sort of jealous. I feel pretty simple in comparison. I'm not deep or determined; I just plod along through life with no real drive or direction. Maybe because I realised a long time ago that I would never be special or "someone"?

But, that doesn't have to be a bad thing, lots of people aren't special or "someone". In fact, it's the case for most people! As long as I focus on being a decent human being and trying my best to be happy with the world that surrounds me then I should be able to roll with whatever happens in life, right?

Although a gf/bf and maybe a place of my own would be nice...

Ahem...And with that, my usual service of Kaito-ness shall resume shortly.
p_nut_uk
Level 5
Level 5

Post by p_nut_uk »

CapnCloudchaser wrote:Why did you separate from your wife if you don't mind me asking?
I don't mind at all, i knew something was wrong, we had spoke before but "things were going tp be better", but it never happenef, we went out for an anniversary dinner and we couldn't get a conversation going at all, in the end we were just like business partners and friends, there was no single event thst caused the break up, we spoke and we were both unhappy then decided to have a break and the relief in the first night was huge.

My advice, talk about it
Killer French Bread
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Killer French Bread »

Quills on Wheels wrote:
However, people always tell me to follow my dreams no matter what and do what i want to do.

I hope to be able to get back into art and get serious about it. So that's my goal to achieve in the distant future.
You should do that. Just remember following your dream means working hard, not telling people what your dream is.

I've given up on love or ever finding the next person to eventually become my worst enemy. And I'll certainly never get married, no way is that new worst enemy walking off with my house and half my money (plus kids if I have them) because she's decided suddenly there's 'irreconcilable differences'.

Nah. I only want money. Do what whatever it takes to get it. I don;t really care about things much, like gadgets, phones, games etc. Maybe clothes I like. Don't care about buying stuff, I just want money for the social status. To wear a watch that costs more than most peoples' cars, that's the dream. Not that I care about watches. Or cars.
Tic Tac, sir?
Tru
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Tru »

p_nut_uk wrote:I don't mind at all, i knew something was wrong, we had spoke before but "things were going tp be better", but it never happenef, we went out for an anniversary dinner and we couldn't get a conversation going at all, in the end we were just like business partners and friends, there was no single event thst caused the break up, we spoke and we were both unhappy then decided to have a break and the relief in the first night was huge.

My advice, talk about it
God, that sounds so damn familiar. Only difference is, I can see the issues, whereas he ignores them, and I don't know why. Perhaps my husband is in denial and doesn't want to lose me, but then the times I have talked about it, nothing happens, nothing changes. I mentioned marriage counselling a few weeks back and he looked visibly hurt, like I had just punched him in the stomach, but then he did not talk about, changed the subject and never brought it up.

I dunno. I think I'm gonna have to force the issue up, kicking and screaming. But anyway, this isn't the place to talk about my marriage problems XD

Don't be scared to try marriage, KFB! My parents split up when I was about 11, but my mother didn't take anything from my dad, she just wanted a fresh start. Course, she was in love with another guy at the time, but I don't really blame her for what happened. My dad just didn't meet her needs, which is completely understandable if you knew my dad, haha. He has the emotional depth and comfort of a rock. But my mother treated my dad fairly and they remained friends.

IF me and the hubby split, I would be equally fair. I would only take what was mine, i.e my video games, my computer, my books. We... Don't really have any shared interests, so we wouldn't exactly argue over books, music albums or games to be honest. I would want a fresh start, so he could keep everything. I'm really obsessed with fairness, so yeah. Divorce is painful enough.