The SEGA Pluto (Prototype Console)

Strictly SEGA related discussion.
Gavvie
Show DJ
Show DJ

Post by Gavvie »

I've no idea what relevance Sonic 3D or Sonic R have to this conversation.

From the looks of things, this Pluto looks like it could've been a better version of the Saturn, which was most likely canned when the Saturn bombed and production was ceased.
TCB
Level 15
Level 15

Post by TCB »

Gavvie wrote:I've no idea what relevance Sonic 3D or Sonic R have to this conversation.

From the looks of things, this Pluto looks like it could've been a better version of the Saturn, which was most likely canned when the Saturn bombed and production was ceased.
I had no idea what those games had to do with anything either bossman. I'm sorry.
Quills on Wheels
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Quills on Wheels »

Looks pretty interesting. For a second I thought my eyes were deceiving me and Sega is making consoles again but then I realized it was just a piece of uncovered history.

It does look interesting however. Having a Saturn with Online funtions. That's pretty ahead for its time. Sega did seem to think ahead... Perhaps the online thing could have been what was needed to get the Saturn's sales up?
Reknoc
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Reknoc »

Quills on Wheels wrote:Looks pretty interesting. For a second I thought my eyes were deceiving me and Sega is making consoles again but then I realized it was just a piece of uncovered history.

It does look interesting however. Having a Saturn with Online funtions. That's pretty ahead for its time. Sega did seem to think ahead... Perhaps the online thing could have been what was needed to get the Saturn's sales up?
Yea, an online connection did wonders for the Dreamcast.
SonicFan
Level 6
Level 6

Post by SonicFan »

Quills on Wheels wrote:Looks pretty interesting. For a second I thought my eyes were deceiving me and Sega is making consoles again but then I realized it was just a piece of uncovered history.

I don't think SEGA really has the funds to make and produce new consoles. We saw what happened with Saturn and Dreamcast. Dreamcast did at least get attention for quite some time before the PS2 and the XBOX were piled onto it.

Anyways, it's interesting to actually dig this up. This shows that SEGA was ahead of it's time.
To be this good takes AGES, to be this good takes SEGA!
Quills on Wheels
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Quills on Wheels »

Quite frankly, honestly, I feel like SEGA was ahead of its time for quite a while back in the days.

Wasn't the Sega CD one of the first consoles to actually feature CDs instead of cartridges?
Reknoc
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Reknoc »

If they wanted to they could probably afford to make a new console since SAMMY is loaded, but why would they want to.
SonicFan
Level 6
Level 6

Post by SonicFan »

Reknoc wrote:If they wanted to they could probably afford to make a new console since SAMMY is loaded, but why would they want to.
They could...But they probably won't make much off of it.

This guy has the second console. He got it at a flea market for $1....Yeah, I know. http://segabits.com/blog/2013/04/19/the-second-sega-pluto-console-has-been-found-a-flea-market-for-1/
Quills on Wheels wrote:Quite frankly, honestly, I feel like SEGA was ahead of its time for quite a while back in the days.

Wasn't the Sega CD one of the first consoles to actually feature CDs instead of cartridges?
Yeah, it was.
SonicFan
Level 6
Level 6

Post by SonicFan »

This guy has the second console. He got it at a flea market for $1....Yeah, I know. bit.ly/11qR30j
SonicFan
Level 6
Level 6

Post by SonicFan »

Quills on Wheels wrote:Quite frankly, honestly, I feel like SEGA was ahead of its time for quite a while back in the days.

Yeah, it was.