The Unified "Sonic Boom" thread.

Strictly SEGA related discussion.
Quills on Wheels
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Quills on Wheels »

Yeah gameplay looks fine. Nothing special I would point out. Hoping that the combat is good though and not disappointing.
TCB
Level 15
Level 15

Post by TCB »

To be fair, the combat does look a bit...underwhelming. But this is just a glimpse of what's going to be shown at E3 anyway.
Twinny
News Team
News Team
Preferred pronouns: He/Him

Post by Twinny »

I do like how the 3DS version is more on platforming and exploring this time around than past handheld Sonic titles.
Kaito-kun
Level 15
Level 15
Preferred pronouns: He/Him/They

Post by Kaito-kun »

Gonic wrote:Last time that happened we ended up with Marine the Racoon :P And everyone just LOVE's her
Right, I'm going to ask a question I'll regret: Who on earth is "Marine the Raccoon"?
Quills on Wheels
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Quills on Wheels »

Kaito-kun wrote:Right, I'm going to ask a question I'll regret: Who on earth is "Marine the Raccoon"?
Please tell me that was sarcasm. Please please please...

Also, anyone seen the last few new videos released? There's been a bunch out since E3. There was Leaked gamplay, then came the official 3DS and Wii U trailers and afterwards we had the TV Series trailer and a bunch more gameplay videos.

Firstly, let me say that the show looks great in my opinion. The animation is wonderful and the jokes seem to be pretty good. Voice acting is decent and... yeah. I think I'll watch it.

That said though, my main concern is the Wii U game. I'd say that the visuals look great and the game is stunningly beautiful with the CryEngine. I can also see those visuals being updated since the last trailer as character models are much more refined now.

However, that said, the game play doesn't seem too... fun. Even though areas are beautiful, they're too big. I mean, there's so much space and nothing in those spaces except enemies and rings. Not that that's bad, I mean, the original spyro games had big environment but they were always so... full. This is not the case though. Areas are too large and nothing in them to keep it interesting.
As for the combat, like mentioned before, it's too underwhelming and simple. I'd even dare to say that the werehog fighting looked more full-on than this. Plus, it appears to me that there's too few in-game conversation lines between characters during fights, and that will make a lot of things the characters say, very repetitive by the half way mark of the game. I could swear during a gameplay footage of Sonic and Amy, Amy would say "Nice Kill Sonic!" Every minute (which btw, "kill"? I loled.).

My main grudge though are the boss battles. Looking at the leaked gameplay footage of multiple boss fights, they all seem to work the same in the core. In all cases of giant bosses, enemies/projectiles will be thrown at you and you simple grab them with your energy beam thing and throw them back at the boss. That was the case for all the boss battles and if this really is the way all boss battles will be for the final game, it'd be very boring.

Just... please... don't screw this up SEGA.

On a side and not-so-negative note, apparently you can see Metal Sonic at some point in the corner of the 3DS trailer video if you look close enough. So Metal Sonic's going to be in there and that's probably a plus.

/EndofSuperRant
Twinny
News Team
News Team
Preferred pronouns: He/Him

Post by Twinny »

Quills on Wheels wrote:Please tell me that was sarcasm. Please please please...
You know he doesn't get out often.
Buta
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Buta »

I don't plan to play the 3DS games but I look forward to checking out the Sonic Boom TV series. I really like the character designs and the character interactions I've seen so far.

Will be great learn more about Sticks, though I'm hoping she's not like Marine to be honest from what I impression I got from Sonic Rush Adventure (a game I did not enjoy playing but I'm not usually part of the intended audience really so meh).

Shall see, no? :3
TCB
Level 15
Level 15

Post by TCB »

The cartoon's animation look sickingly sweet. The writing there adds to it in my opinion.

As for the Wii U version...had a bit of time to warm up to the overall level design and gameplay mechanics from this video:

[video=youtube;c3hM0Fq_tyE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3hM0Fq_tyE[/video]

I, for one, like the little banter between Knuckles and Sonic, something that the recent games all lack.
Kaito-kun
Level 15
Level 15
Preferred pronouns: He/Him/They

Post by Kaito-kun »

Twinny wrote:You know he doesn't get out often.
He's right, I don't. But when I do get out it's usually to places better than Planet Mobius.
TCB
Level 15
Level 15

Post by TCB »

Planet Mobius?

Is that some place across the pond, or a Sanic jab?

Sounds like some Planet Hollywood expy.