Chickaroo Reviews - Crash Nitro Kart (PS2)

Use this forum for all your game reviews, SEGA or otherwise. All threads will be moderated.
chickaroo1
Level 9
Level 9

Chickaroo Reviews - Crash Nitro Kart (PS2)

Post by chickaroo1 »

Well it’s a new generation of consoles, you might as well make a sequel to one of the greatest kart racing games on the PS1 right?Game: Crash Nitro Kart
Systems: PlayStation 2, GameCube, Xbox, Game Boy Advance, N-Gage
Release Dates: 11/11/03 (NA), 11/28/03 (EU), 12/3/03 (AUS), 7/8/04 (JP, GC and PS2 version only)
N-Gage: 7/28/04 (NA), 6/30/04 (EU)
Developers: Vicarious Visions
Good vs. Evil...But in Space!
Story: I’m telling you right now, the story is pretty similar to Crash Team Racing’s story.
So one day on N. Sanity Island, the Bandicoots were just doing their normal thing. Crash was taking a nap, Coco was working on a kart engine, and Crunch was lifting some weights. All of a sudden, a bright light strikes their home as it lifts out of the sky and takes them to an outer space tournament where they see their arch enemies, Dr. Cortex, N-gin and Tiny. As the six confront each other, they are interrupted by Emperor Velo XXVII, who is holding the galactic races. He tells the six that he wants them to race against the best racers in the few galaxies he selected. He gives the sic characters new karts and sets them off to race!
Now, How Does The Racing Hold Up?
Gameplay: I recently revisited the game lately and it’s not that bad. Though it is similar to Crash Team Racing, it's still pretty fun to play.
There is a story mode to play though. There are a total of 4 areas to play through, 3 per area (so a total of 12 tracks, shorter than CTR). After racing on the 3 tracks, you can then race the area's boss to get a key to the next area.
Racing wise, it's okay. A little slower than the first game but still playable. Though I can never figure out the boost at the beginning of a race. During a race, you have a teammate also in the race. On the right hand side of the screen, there is a gauge that fills up. By hitting R1, you can get some weapons to use for a bit until it runs out. It's pointless. I guess the one thing is that it's somewhat easy to slow down. If you bumped into something, it's easy to lose the speed you had. It's easy to get it back but yeah.
Looking Good
Graphics: Goodness for a PS2 title, this game looks pretty darn good. Especially in the cutscenes. They’re really good and nicely detailed. Very nice job.
Meh
Music:Honestly, the music isn't that memorable. It’s an okay soundtrack.
Music is composed by Ashif Hakik and Todd Masten.
A Good Kart Racer?
Overall: Crash Nitro Kart for the most part is fun. It’s not the best kart racer out there, but it’s decent enough to play. Especially if you grew up with the original game.
3 / 5