What's your stance on SEGA?

Strictly SEGA related discussion.
Twinny
News Team
News Team
Preferred pronouns: He/Him

Post by Twinny »

Midwinter wrote:They are getting Sonic Boom in Japan (even though Iizuka had said it was not coming to Japan earlier this year). It will be interesting to see how it is received over there much less in the other parts of the world.
I meant the Sonic brand in general. Boom (or "Toon" as Japan will be called) looked so out of place with SoJ's other games back at the Tokyo Game Show.
Radio:SEGA: Gang Since October 2010

Midwinter
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Midwinter »

Twinny wrote:I meant the Sonic brand in general. Boom (or "Toon" as Japan will be called) looked so out of place with SoJ's other games back at the Tokyo Game Show.
I understand. Yes, I agree that Sega is nowhere near their former glory.
supershadow01
Level 4
Level 4

Post by supershadow01 »

Yeah, I remember when SEGA was selling as many consoles as Nintendo back in the 90s. Unfortunately, I never played SEGA games back then since my family was in the Nintendo camp. But SEGA of America was pulling some nasty attack ads on Nintendo then. (However, Nintendo had their jabs at SEGA as well.) Anyway, I wish SEGA would go back to the grittiness that defined what they were back in the 90s. I think SEGA has become too Sonic-centric and has lost a lot of appeal to older gamers like myself. I just wish they wouldn't gratuitously add guns and swear words to do that, though. Maybe I'm just a part of a bygone era. I guess this is just an era of making the most money and SEGA has to produce lots of Sonic games to survive.
"If the world chooses to become my enemy...I will fight like I always have!" -Shadow, Sonic the Hedgehog (2006)
Twinny
News Team
News Team
Preferred pronouns: He/Him

Post by Twinny »

SEGA will never go back to its former glory. Times changed, and with it how the company is ran. But even now, it looks like SEGA of Japan has it better than any other territory.
supershadow01
Level 4
Level 4

Post by supershadow01 »

I guess that is what happened with Atari also. Atari had a great run for a time and just fizzled after the crash of '83. But you're right. At least SEGA of Japan is still doing fairly well.
"If the world chooses to become my enemy...I will fight like I always have!" -Shadow, Sonic the Hedgehog (2006)
Reknoc
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Reknoc »

It's not really the same as Atari almost killed the industry they were apart of and themselves in the process, they're now just a name attached to a french company
Gavvie
Show DJ
Show DJ

Post by Gavvie »

When you look at how strongly SEGA Japan are doing, and how poorly SEGA West aren't, then you have to wonder why SEGA Sammy Holdings haven't gone "well, hang on, we should really start running the Western side of things".

It'd make good business sense, in my opinion. SEGA are a company split right down the middle and run seperately, with no umbrella company holding them together. It's not like Nintendo, where the Tokyo office clearly controls everything and just leaves Nintendo of America to handle promotion and such - Nintendo of Europe don't even have a presence outside of social media!

On the flipside, were SoJ to do that, then we'd never get any games released over here. Not that we do at the moment, but hey.
Reknoc
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Reknoc »

SoJ probably wouldn't gain anything from having more control over SEGA West. SoJ are doing so well because they pump out franchises that do well in Japan but bomb everywhere else, and SEGA West seem to be doing well enough with Total War / Football Manager

edit: Using Gumi (some Japanese Smartphone game publisher) to release Chain Chronicle, and possibly other (god I hope its puyo puyo quest and PSO2es (lolololol) ) in the west is an interesting choice though, since SEGA West already have a presence there.
kadosho
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kadosho »

I really want to see SEGA take risky chances again. Go farther, do something unexpected.
TCB
Level 15
Level 15

Post by TCB »

kadosho wrote:I really want to see SEGA take risky chances again. Go farther, do something unexpected.
I see SEGA of Japan being the ones who would take more of a risk than its Western 'counterpart'.