Chickaroo Reviews - Jet Set Radio (PS3)

Use this forum for all your game reviews, SEGA or otherwise. All threads will be moderated.
chickaroo1
Level 9
Level 9

Chickaroo Reviews - Jet Set Radio (PS3)

Post by chickaroo1 »

While you guys are over there playing Tony Hawk, we’re here spray painting and having a good old time with Jet Set Radiooo!Game: Jet Set Radio / Jet Grind Radio
Systems: DreamCast, Game Boy Advance, Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, PlayStation Vita, iOS, Android
Release Dates: DC: 6/29/00 (JP), 10/30/00 (NA), 11/24/00 (EU)
GBA: 6/26/03 (NA), 2/20/04 (EU)
Developers: Smilebit
Damn Rudie Kids
Story: The game is set in the city of Tokyo-To and is split into three parts: Shibuya-cho, Benten-cho and Kogane-cho. These streets are overflowed with kids called rudies, who rollerskate, spray paint, and listen to a pirate radio station named Jet Set Radio, hosted by Professor K. A man called Captain Onishima hates graffiti and tells the police and S.W.A.T team to find and track down any rudie caught “tagging” anything in the streets to stop them. But that’s not going to stop the hero of the story, Beat. Beat is a 17 year old rudie who runs away from home to join a gang. He starts his own and hopes to attract a big team of rudies to take down Captain Onishima and express themselves.
Let’s Paint The Town Neon!
Gameplay: The game is all about rollerskating and spray painting. It’s not a sports game, no. But it’s been compared to games like Tony Hawk and such.
The name of the game is to spray paint over another gang’s graffiti around different towns before time runs out. You pick a character before starting a level. In levels, you rollerblade around town. Rollerblading is pretty fun and you can speed up a bit as you do. Though trying to pull off tricks on walls, rails, cars, and such feels clunky and not as fun. Which is why I mostly avoid it. Spray cans are all over the place in the area. So grab as much as you can, find red arrows pointing to some graffiti and spray, spray, spray! To spray, press the spray button and some more arrows will appear on the screen. Use the analog stick to move it into whatever direction the arrows say to do. The quickly you do it, the more points you get. You also get points for pulling off tricks but since it’s clunky, I’d rather not. The more you spray paint, the more the enemies will come out. Be it the police, the S.W.A.T team or even the freaking army! Is graffiti that bad to the point of getting the freaking army out to destroy teenaged punks? Damn. There really isn’t a way to defeat the enemies. You can lose health if they try to club you with their clubs or get hit by anything they throw at you. Now you can spray paint helicopters if you can reach them.
This game is also pretty customizable too. Throughout the game you can collect little radio icons that unlock a new graffiti pattern that you can customize before you start a level. You can even draw your own one too and use it in-game.
The Start of the Cel-Shading
Graphics: This game looks really good. Well at the time. But this game has been credited for being the first to use cel-shading, which is having thick outlines around the characters, making them look like they were straight out of a cartoon. Which is amazing and awesome to look at. It’s honestly one of my favorite art styles in a video game. There’s not a whole lot who use it, but golly is it gorgeous. Everything pops out in a beautiful way. It’s just amazing to look at.
Hey DJ! Gimme A Phat Beat!
Music: Another big part of the game: the soundtrack. There are so many songs in this game, and boy are they really good! We got all kinds of genres up in here, and they’re all upbeat and amazing to listen to. From rock, to pop, to metal, to funk, it’s all here folks. They’re just so fun to listen to. I highly recommend this soundtrack. Check it out.
Music is composed by Hideki Naganuma and other various artists.
Wanna Go For a Spin?
Overall: Jet Set Radio is a great game. From its visuals and style, to its upbeat soundtrack and amazing environments. The only thing holding it back is it’s camera and the fact that pulling off tricks feels clunky. It’s not a perfect game, but it’s a hella fun one.
4 / 5

(NOTE: This review was originally supposed to be uploaded on 11/23 but due to difficulties in reviewing it at the time, I put it off to the side and came back to it recently since I had more time to look over it, and while getting some advice from friends. I do apologize for not having it out sooner. But better late than never.)