Chickaroo Reviews - Tomb Raider: The Last Revelation (PS1)

Use this forum for all your game reviews, SEGA or otherwise. All threads will be moderated.
chickaroo1
Level 9
Level 9

Chickaroo Reviews - Tomb Raider: The Last Revelation (PS1)

Post by chickaroo1 »

Lara is back once again as she explores the tombs of Egypt once more to look for some artifacts and as well as rescue her mentor, Werner Von Croy.Game: Tomb Raider IV: The Last Revelation
Systems: PlayStation, PC, Dreamcast, Mac OS
Release Dates: November 1999
Developers: Core Design
Back to Egypt
Story: In a flashback from 1984, 16-year old Lara and her mentor, Werner Von Croy are in Egypt in the ancient ruins looking for an artifact called the Iris. But as they are exploring, Lara sees symbols saying to not disturb the artifact. Werner ignores this and then the temple starts to fall apart. Lara manages to make it out but ends up having to leave Werner behind.
It’s now 1999 and Lara returns to Egypt to find Werner and look for some more artifacts that could screw up with humanity.
Alright, What’s Going On Here?
Gameplay: Quick question for the audience - did you expect the gameplay to change by the 4th game? If the answer is yes, then sorry pal. Not much has changed. Lara still uses her signature pistols, runs, jogs, rolls, etc. But the new thing she can do is swing from ropes and as well as climb up or down on them, and she can also shimmy around corners too. Yay! Everything else, she can do. Run, jump, use her trademark pistols, roll, dodge, and much more.
As for the levels, they’re alright. Puzzle-solving is there as Lara is back in actual tombs all taken place in Egypt. It’s pretty good but also pretty difficult.
Sand, Sand and More Sand
Graphics: The graphics do look pretty well this time around. However, since the setting is Egypt, you will see lots and lots of sand. Very yellow and brown looking hue shades. Lara’s model and the lighting in the game looks very nice as usual. Even the iconic main menu has changed a bit. It has a more cinematic approach to it. And the inventory screen is also different too.
Pure Silence
Music: As normal, there hardly is much music in the game. Mostly silence to take in the environment. But there is music that plays if something happens so yeah.
Music is composed by Peter Connelly.
Another Great Adventure?
Overall: The Last Revelation is an alright game. Some people like it for how it plays and as well to returning to actual tombs. Some don’t like it for not changing the gameplay up much. It’s the same as the last three games. But hey, maybe you should try it.
3 / 5
Ace_Croft
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Ace_Croft »

Just the music I'm gonna comment on.

I'm not sure if you was playing GBC Tomb Raider but I remember TRLR having music.

Look something you got to remember about Core Design games TR games, that the music is only played when something exciting was going to happen and make you think shit is going down. Even if you was fighting bats in TR1 or soothing music during a calm moments of the game.... Or running past and jumping over a deadly death trap and to finding a secret. The composers and developers always had this in mind since TR1 so its no different in other Core Classic TR games for music.

sorry posting from phone.
Killer French Bread
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Killer French Bread »

Probably my favourite of the original TRs. Loved the Egyptian setting, some of the later levels are really fun
Click to reveal
It felt like the longest to me too, but that might be because they changed from being able to pick different countries to explore, as in the 3rd, to one long, unbroken trek punctuated by the occasional cut scene. It felt like you had made it through a really epic adventure by the finish. The main let down is the ending, which is a complete rip off.

Also about the music, remember adverts saying the main theme had been remixed by Paul Oakenfold, who was a fairly well known DJ at the time. Don't think it was particularly memorable still.
Tic Tac, sir?
kadosho
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kadosho »

I remember trying out a friend's copy of this entry. It felt fluid enough for its time, but something just felt off about TLR. Its one of the strangest chapters (aside from Angel of Darkness) *that is another story.