RadioSEGA - Address of 2011

Have something to say, or having any issues? Let us know...
Gavvie
Show DJ
Show DJ

RadioSEGA - Address of 2011

Post by Gavvie »

It's New Year's Eve 2011, and a perfect time for us to sit down, reflect on the past 12 months, and predict where the next 12 will be taking us. Of course, not everything that will be written here will happen, but we're hopeful.

So, without further ado, let's get right on with it. It's a long one, just to warn you ahead of time...

An admission right off the bat: 2011 has been a bitter disappointment, in my opinion. 12 months ago, I wrote that we'd be seeing a new website launch this year. Ironically, I'd said the same 12 months prior to that as well. The fact that it's now over two years late has not escaped my attention, and isn't something that I'm ignoring. Updates on the progress of the site have been few and far between, and that's something I really do apologise for. I'm as disappointed as everybody else that we've not been able to deliver something which, on paper, must seem to be so simple to do.

Truth is, it isn't. What we're trying to do is offer an overhaul that means that users would want to browse the site more often. The A-Z playlist, which at one time was a perfect means of browsing the tracks on our server, is now horrendous. We're going to make it easier to browse, easier to select the tracks you want to request. There's more to be said on the playlist front, and that's coming later. The homepage will feature news, reviews, and special features like our Game of the Month. We'll be presenting you with a brand new forum to call home, and every user will have access to a blog, if they want it. (We'll get back to you on that one...)

It's not so much creating a new website. That's easy. What we've wanted to do since we announced Project 7 back in 2009 is give you guys a place to call home, a place that you'll want to revisit to see what we've got coming up and to form a real community. Browsing around the site right now, it's still looking as good as it did back then. For now, though, let's leave that alone. We can come back to it later. We will be coming back to it later.

We've also had a poor year when it came to updating playlists, and again I can only apologise for this. There's no specific reason, other than the fact that soundtracks have been a little harder to find in some instances, and the ones that were found hadn't been uploaded, either by myself or the Playlist Managers. We'll be rectifying this next year, and again I'll discuss that later.

Right then - let's get onto the good stuff. We've been lucky in that we've been able to get ourselves out and about a lot more this year. We returned to Summer of Sonic for a second stint at DJing, and did rather well. We launched our first t-shirt since 2009 (if you haven't got one yet, hit us up here and we'll sort you out!), and even went over to the first London Gaming Con to close the event with ClubSEGA! On top of that, thanks to Nintendo 3DS' StreetPass feature, we sent a custom Mii out at both London MCM Expo's, as well as Summer of Sonic, Eurogamer Expo and London Gaming Con! Did you manage to snag it? Oh, and we can hardly forget to mention our very first SEGATHON, which raised a fantastic £632 for BBC Children in Need.

So that was 2011. What of 2012? First and foremost, we want the new site up. We are aiming, and I will note that this could possibly change, to launch the site in March, to celebrate RadioSEGA's 6th Birthday. There's still a little bit of work that needs doing beforehand, but we are confident that we'll be able to meet this one. We're also going to be re-assessing our ENTIRE staffing team to ensure that the site, and the radio, is constantly being updated with content, be it news and reviews, or brand new soundtracks. More information will be provided on this very soon, so if you want to be a part of our team, keep your eyes open.

We're also hoping to get our good name out there even more next year, be it through events like MCM Expo and Eurogamer, but also via fan gatherings as well. Our RadioSEGA Mii will be StreetPassing his way through all of those, no doubt. In addition, IF there happens to be a Summer of Sonic event this year, you can bet your bottom dollar we'll be there to DJ for a third time. We're also in talks with the organisers of this months' London Gaming Con, but you'll have to wait on that one. It's not something RadioSEGA as a site will be affiliated with, but that doesn't mean we won't use the opportunity to spread the word.

You can help to get the name around as well, by buying and wearing our shirts to events in your country, recommending the site to friends, or even good old social networking like Facebook or Twitter. We will be more active on those in 2012, as well as finally stocking up on YouTube videos, and even making Google+ a place that you might look over every now and then.
2011 was a year where, by all admissions, we promised to grow and stood still instead. We have a goal, and that is still to become one of the biggest SEGA fansites you can find on the Web. There's a long way to go to meet that ambition, but I can promise you this: In 2012, we will finally make a move to meet it.
To close, I would like to wish everybody a very Happy New Year, and best wishes for the year ahead, from all of us here at RadioSEGA. You guys will always be our backbone, and we're honoured to present you with the best SEGA music and remixes, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.

Thanks for reading
Gavvie
TCB
Level 15
Level 15

Post by TCB »

So, the battlelines have been drawn..it's go-time I suppose.

If that deadline for the new website hits March like you said, I'll be greatly surprised and impressed.

Happy New Year to you too Gav...2012 looks to be RadioSEGA's most important year yet.